[MPlayer-dev-eng] libvo X11 cleanup?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Apr 7 04:31:56 CEST 2002

Hi,

Any volunteers to cleanup X11 drivers of libvo?
I've just hacked vo_xv a bit, to avoid some sig11, but all of them are
a way messy/ugly for long time and just getting worse :(

Someone with skills of x11 coding (or rtfming :)) should generalize
as much as possible of X11 code (note that >50% of the drivers code is
the same for every driver, just implemented by different people or
messed up different way).

Pontscho already did some work, moving some code to x11_common.c,
but still a lot left...

current x11-based drivers:

xv (shm only?)
xmga
x11 (shm and plain)
dga
gl
gl2

I think things should be splitted up to:
- X11 initialization (open connection, set up mDisplay), it's vo_init() now
- open a window (it should handle Gui tricks too) - i think it's the most
  difficult thing, to make a geenralized window opening function which
  interfaces with all x11-based vo drivers, including opengl...
- re-config a window? (for multiple config() calls)
- close a window
- X11 shutdown
- check for events (key press, mouse etc)
- mode switching ?
- screen saver en/disable, dpms en/disable
- runtime fullscreen switching
etc

it's a big work, could be done either by a big cleanup patch or many small
step-by-step patches?

this cleanup should include conformance fixes to new libvo stuff (config()
0,1,2+ times) and get_image() implementation for DR where possible

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team