[Mplayer-dev-eng] VP3 Codec

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Sep 22 08:33:54 CEST 2001

On Friday, 21. September 2001 21:12, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,

> > > dunno. you should make some quality tests, or ask gabucino ;)
>
> Gabucino?
>
> > Quality seems quite ok, blurrier then divx but ok, I've encoded a sample
> > clip from 1400kbits SBC DivX sample.
>
> Hmm. try a perfect input (high bitrate mpeg2 (dvd) or huffyuv stuff.
>
> Divx reduces a lot the image quality by strong quantization, and if vp3
> isn't mpeg-based codec (wavelet etc) it will lose quality.

yes you're right, direct encode from mpeg2 has much better quality.

I've now did a 6:38min/74.5meg sample clip from The Jackal DVD, which
resembles the datarates used in a 2CD DVDRip (it's ~190kbyte/sec including
vbr mp3 audio).
The picture quality is very good although I used the "Quick Compress"-Option
of the codec, which significantly speeds up encoding, while according to On2
guys quality loss is below 1% compared with video encoded without this option.
But I must admit that the decoder still could use some speedup as it eats up
30% to 77% cpu time to decode above clip including audio on my PIII 932/768MB
using WMP 8 with an average cpu usage of 35-60% cpu load, where 30-40% is
needed in low motion scenes and 50-60% in high motion scenes.
But vp3 website states that they were primarily going for completeness not
speed.

Btw. I've today watched a complete movie in highres streaming over my dsl con
using their commercial vp4 codec which is the predecessor of vp3 (~700kbps).

> please upload sample clip, dll and codecs.conf to incoming!
I've uploaded the 74.5meg sample clip along with codec.conf entry, vfw dll
and a description file to ftp://mphq/.../vp3/

--
Best Regards,
	Atmos

_____