[Mplayer-dev-eng] processsor speciffic code

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Sep 18 20:51:39 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > That would mean that the user has to have the compiler and tools
> > installed even if it just plans to have an small footprint system
> > for watching movies.
> >
> > The packages system is a design to avoid just that situation.
>
> Juup, sure. But a system with a small footprint is most time also
> a slow system and needs every optimisation it can get.
> I know what i'm talking about, 'cause my machine is also
> at the lower limit.
> I think for a progam like mplayer which should been compiled
> for every system with it's own parameters it would be worth doing this.
Agree.

Btw I'm building embedded linux systems nowdays (mostly firewalls/routers
for microwave networks), they are really 'small footprint'
32mb flash or 100mb zip drive... + 32/64mb ram.
of course i don't compile programs on these machines, rather i have a
'development system', same hardware but extended with a big harddisk and
more memory. i'm using it for prototype creation, and use the small (real)
system only for tetsing. sometimes they are the same: i have only 1 machine,
but i attach a harddisk while compiling/upgrading components.

So. people who want to make such systems, can attach a big hdd, build
(compile, configure) programs, install them and finally detach this disk.

It will be much better than using packages: they are faster (optimized for
he given cpu etc) and smaller (containing only modules/drivers which needed).

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu