[MPlayer-dev-eng] aspect stuff

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Oct 16 20:08:09 CEST 2001

On Tuesday, 16. October 2001 19:10, Ivan Kalvatchev wrote:
> --- Ivan Kalvatchev <iive at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- Felix Buenemann
> > <atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > hmm, can you tell me how your implentation is
> > > superiour to the current one,
> > > so I can see a reason to use it?
> >
> > 1. It is formend by few small functions that could
> > be
> > used indepedently.
hmm, IMHO too many of them.

> > 2. When it change aspect it tryes to enlarge image.
> > This is becouse my video card don't decrease image.
> > 3. The functions for changing aspect don't scale it,
> > so you shouldn't calculate aspect twice. 1'st time
> > image and second time for window to fit in, as it is
> > done now.
my current aspect code also prefers scaling up, it'll only scale down as a
last resort (it's currently not perfect as it only knows prescale, not
original size).

> > 4. You can see that current aspect() is implemented
> > in
> > two of 'my' functions. It could be used to
> > fullscreen.
> > There is function that could be used for windows and
> > scale them only when they get out of screen.
> > 5. In my system, i usually work in 800x600x16, when
> > go to full screen it first switch to 640x480 in this
> > mode your function cuts the image, mine scale it
> > correctly (for misson2mars.avi 512x384 i think), i
> > don't know why but it is so.
it was a bug in my code that happended when simplifying it from struct to
pointer usage.

> > Take a look of aspect.h, there are some comments.
> > Feel
> > free to fix any grammar and syntax errors:)
> >
> > I think that aspect calculation should be fully
> > moved
> > in vo_ drivers, as thay best know that's going on.
>
> I don't get any reply.
> Atmos. Can you tell me why your function is better
> than mine.
Both of our code has it's advantages, but I think I'll rewrite my code to do
better.

I would like to test it out further but your patch doesn't apply and when
applying manually I get undefined references.

Btw. there's some stuff I also thought about redoing my current aspect code,
but my solution wouldn't need that big bunch of functions but only one init
function and one calculation function:

I thought about this:
init functions save original size and prescaled size (I might split this so
user could later resize the window and it would be rewarded when changing to
fullscreen, ie. second function to save prescale).
Now the actual calculation function aspect would only have to be called with
the window it should fit in and the two pointer two receive the new size.

> Arpi, i would like to hear and your comments.
>
> ...and i have one more point:
> 6. My functions don't need rounding:)
hpw not, you also work with floats, which will lead to uneven numbers in some
cases.

> Best Regards
>   Ivan Kalvachev

Best Regards,