[MPlayer-dev-eng] Documentation: video.html patch

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Oct 14 19:31:34 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > > +<br>>Hello!
> >        ^-this won't be ok in HTML
> >
> No - it's ok. It's 'reply character' from letter. At least netscape shows it correctly.
netscape 4 is far from html :)

> > > +<br><br>From other side - we could have a chance to have TV-out support through
> > > +- it's unreachable on practice. Finely every access to IO space causes exception
> > > +and driver attempts to emulate even VESA calls instead passing them to native
> > > +int_10h handler.
> > >  </P>
> >
> > is it possible to enable TVout using VESA bios calls?
> Yes! Every DOS program which uses int 10h enables tv-out automatically.
good.

> > dosemu and some other projects has code for handle VESA calls from linux.
> > I also used them in dosrunner.
> >
> As I wrote - even dosemu emulates many BIOS calls (doesn't perform transfer control
> to BIOS int 10h handler, but emulates them with IO to/from VGA ports).
yes. but why is it problem? it catches in/out instructions and executes them
in linux process space and then continues bios code in x86 space.
the effect is the same as running teh whole x86 code under real x86.

the extra profit is that you also can log in/out commands to file and
analize, maybe you find which ones enables tvout.

> I've tried to run X11 with VESA driver but also got unsynced tv-out signal
> (by the same reasons - control doesn't reached BIOS int 10h).
x11 vesa driver afaik not only calls int10, it does much more...

> > They run small program (actually it's a gate between your program and
> > DOS/bios), catching exceptions (privileged port access etc) and emulate them
> > if allowes (if port range is ok, do port r/w emulating the problematic
> > instructions else skip them). There is also a handy library (called LRMI)
> > for this. Of course, it requires root.
> >
> What is LRMI?
linux real mode interface

it's a lib for such things as you need.