[MPlayer-dev-eng] Documentation: video.html patch

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sun Oct 14 19:31:46 CEST 2001

Hello, Arpi!
On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:46:04 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > As I've found not every debeloper have write access to main/DOCS subfolder.
> > In this connection - I've done patch for video.html file.
> > Please apply!
>
> Gabucino asked to limit DOCS write to him.
>
> > +<br>>Hello!
>        ^-this won't be ok in HTML

No - it's ok. It's 'reply character' from letter. At least netscape shows it correctly.
> > +<br><br>From other side - we could have a chance to have TV-out support through
> > +- it's unreachable on practice. Finely every access to IO space causes exception
> > +and driver attempts to emulate even VESA calls instead passing them to native
> > +int_10h handler.
> >  </P>
>
> is it possible to enable TVout using VESA bios calls?
Yes! Every DOS program which uses int 10h enables tv-out automatically.

> dosemu and some other projects has code for handle VESA calls from linux.
> I also used them in dosrunner.

As I wrote - even dosemu emulates many BIOS calls (doesn't perform transfer control
to BIOS int 10h handler, but emulates them with IO to/from VGA ports).
I've tried to run X11 with VESA driver but also got unsynced tv-out signal
(by the same reasons - control doesn't reached BIOS int 10h).
> They run small program (actually it's a gate between your program and
> DOS/bios), catching exceptions (privileged port access etc) and emulate them
> if allowes (if port range is ok, do port r/w emulating the problematic
> instructions else skip them). There is also a handy library (called LRMI)
> for this. Of course, it requires root.

What is LRMI?