[MPlayer-dev-eng] radeon_vid based - MACH64 support

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Wed Nov 28 19:22:22 CET 2001

Hello, Arpi!

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:35:04 +0200 (CEST) you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > P.S.: Arpi, do you plan to support Y800 and other formats in the future?
> no, as mga only supports planar yv12/i420/iyuv and packed yuy2/uyvy

It's unbelievable!
Y800 can't be unsupported by Matrox.
Same as other format main difference of which is
mixed order of Y, V, U components and vertical
image flipping as in CYUV format.
I guess really troubles on Matrox can cause only
these formats:
IY41, IYU1, IYU2, Y41P, Y41T, Y42T
As for radeon: I guess only 4(2):1:1 formats can cause troubles.

Looking at matrox_vid sources  - I've found:
 + (1<<21)   // 420 mode
 + (1<<22)   // 420 mode
 + (1<<23)   // 420 mode
that it uses 3 bit for YUV mode. So you should have
8 modes but currently you have only 3: YUY2, YVYU and
YV12 (i420 is version of YV12).

I've found that Matrox has in 3-4 times more BES registers
than Radeon and it's unvelievable that it supports less
number of formats.