[MPlayer-dev-eng] rm -rf opendivx ?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Nov 27 03:08:18 CET 2001

Hi,

I think it's time to thinking about teh future of encore/ and opendivx/

encore: it is not used now. i kept it for mencoder, but currently mencoder
can't use it (not implemented).

opendivx decore: used only if no divx4linux library found. if divx4 present,
only postprocess code is used, with -oldpp option.

I think it's worth to check videocoding.de

They continued forked opensource version of projectmayo's opendivx
(currently named divx4). they call it XviD.
They promise divx3 support too. And they have already fast working encore2.
Their interface is fully divx4linux compatible, so shouldn't be problem for us.

I think we should replace old opendivx sources with their version.
Then, we can remove old decore interface from mplayer.
Then, non-linux users could use opendivx encoding.
Then, we should port optimized code from old decore and ffmpeg, as it has no
much code optimized for linux. (it has lotsa intel asm, and also altivec)
and maybe begin to optimize it to hell :)

It is not GPL. But, is it really a problem?
- in CVS they can co-exist.
- configure should detect these directories, and if missing, disable support
- configure also should detect for dynamic variants: libopendivx_encore2.so etc
=> users who don't like it (including binary packagers) can simply delete
those directories before compiling. The other way is like ffmpeg, so ask
users to download and copy given directory from it. but it makes our life
hard, as we need different makefiles, and we want to change some code.
so until our patches are accepted by them, we should keep a copy at mplayer
cvs.

what about?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu