[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [Mplayer-matrox] TV-out on other Matroxcards than G400

Hallvar Helleseth hallvar at ii.uib.no
Tue Nov 20 22:24:37 CET 2001

* Martin Qvistgård (martin.qvistgard at telia.com) wrote:
> Hey all!
>
> First of all, MPlayer really rocks!! Can't thank the develpoers enough for
> all their work.
>
> Now to my question; does the fb tvout work an any orther boards than the
> G400? I have a G550 in my box and would love to get TVout to work on it,
> because than I would have no reason to keep my windooze partition :)
> There seems to be some confusion on this topic and the docs aren't that clear
> either. I obviously havn't gotten it to work but that could just be due to my
> lack of brains :)

(Don't take this as a correct answer)

I have just bought a G550 myself. Problems I see with it and Linux is the lack
of a kernel framebuffer driver support. However I hacked a little bit in the
G400/G450 kernel drivers to get them to work with G550. It still has some
problems though (I don't know if they apply to G440/450 aswell) when booting up
the screen/console output goes to the second head, but that can be fixed by the
matroxset utility (in mplayer sources).

I believe a kernel framebuffer driver/device is needed to have Tv output (not
sure though, never tried myself).

If you're desperat I could send you the sources for the kernel framebuffer
driver for G550.

Anyways, just an answer from a another guy with G550 and without windows :)

Hallvar Helleseth (hallvar at ii.uib.no)