[MPlayer-dev-eng] MGA_VID suggestions

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Mon Nov 19 08:25:30 CET 2001

Hello, Arpi!

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 20:33:31 +0200 (CEST) you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I've found incompatibility between mga_vid stuff and radeon_vid in FOURCC definitions.
> > Please look at mga_vid.h there is:
> > #define MGA_VID_FORMAT_YUY2 (('Y'<<24)|('U'<<16)|('Y'<<8)|'2')
> >
> > but libvo/img_format.h has:
> > #define IMGFMT_YUY2 0x32595559
> >
> > I.e. mga_vid.h has swaped FOURCC definitions.
>
> I know it well. But I just grabbed mga_vid from mpeg2dec (later oms) project
> and _extended_ its API. I didn't wanted (and I think I'm not allowed) to
> change it, as it breaks compatibility with other programs using it
> (avifile,oms,mpeg2dec). So it doesn't stay on me.

But we have possibility to change version ;)
#define MGA_VID_VERSION 0x0300

> So, I think, if you want to maintain compatibility with mga_vid API, you
> should accept its reversed fourccs. at least YV12, as other formats were
> added by me, so other project don't use them (i hope).

In short: MGA_VID was designed for matrox chipset. Other chipset may have (and has)
difference functionality. Well - not long ago mga_vid was unqiue driver without analogs.
(sis_vid doesn't matter as not working stuff).
If I'll use -vo mga with radeon_vid I'll lose many hw accelerations.
We need replace or improve of vo_mga stuff.
Also see below.

If you don't want to use fbvid then what about my next generartion of this stuff (see attach)?

> > IMHO img_foramt.h is more standartized than mga_vid.h because the same
> > definitions of FOURCC is used in other projects.
> >
> > In this connextion - maybe it woukd be better to use fbvid.h (see attach)
> > header file as further standard of xxx_vid development?
> btw hos related is fbvid to fbdev?
Indeed fbvid is standalone standard wich is not related with fbdev.
Simply it's located in the same subfolder as fbdev.

> i mena our _vid stuff works under X11 and vesa and whatever, not only with
> framebuffer console. so i don't want to rely on it.

New fbvid stuff was designed to be included into Linux-2.5.
This standard doesn't limited any implementation of video overlays.
With using this fbvid.h I will be able to preserve the same functionality
and qualitatively improve vesa_lvo same as radeon_vid.

But agree - there is things which looks ugly so currently I try to discuss
them with original author of this header.

But anyway fbvid.h is much better of mga_vid.h