[MPlayer-dev-eng] MGA_VID suggestions

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Nov 18 19:33:31 CET 2001

Hi,

> I've found incompatibility between mga_vid stuff and radeon_vid in FOURCC definitions.
> Please look at mga_vid.h there is:
> #define MGA_VID_FORMAT_YUY2 (('Y'<<24)|('U'<<16)|('Y'<<8)|'2')
>
> but libvo/img_format.h has:
> #define IMGFMT_YUY2 0x32595559
>
> I.e. mga_vid.h has swaped FOURCC definitions.

I know it well. But I just grabbed mga_vid from mpeg2dec (later oms) project
and _extended_ its API. I didn't wanted (and I think I'm not allowed) to
change it, as it breaks compatibility with other programs using it
(avifile,oms,mpeg2dec). So it doesn't stay on me.

So, I think, if you want to maintain compatibility with mga_vid API, you
should accept its reversed fourccs. at least YV12, as other formats were
added by me, so other project don't use them (i hope).

> IMHO img_foramt.h is more standartized than mga_vid.h because the same
> definitions of FOURCC is used in other projects.
>
> In this connextion - maybe it woukd be better to use fbvid.h (see attach)
> header file as further standard of xxx_vid development?
btw hos related is fbvid to fbdev?
i mena our _vid stuff works under X11 and vesa and whatever, not only with
framebuffer console. so i don't want to rely on it.

> As I laready wrote - this stuff is taken from linuxconsole project at sf.net

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu