[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] configure2 underway

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Nov 15 19:54:28 CET 2001

Hi,

> > As some (any) of you may be aware, as time goes on, the configure script
> > becomes a real pain to extend:
>
> 	I'm quite new to the development effort, so I don't know the
> reasons the group has chosen to maintain its own configure script rather
> than relying on the GNU autotools (autoconf, automake, etc.). I was
> just wondering what were the compelling reasons for this decision?

autoconf:
  it's ok, but nobody of us know it, and it needs some experiments and
  RTFMing to be able to do such custom checks with it.
  i've asked it many times if somebody would convert current script and then
  maintain (!) autoconf stuff. nobody replied (except JAF, but he didn't
  actually do sth)

automake, libtool:
  they create big messy scripts and makefiles, nobody of us like them.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu