[Mplayer-dev-eng] Patch to make mplayer smarter about aspect ratios

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 18 13:37:36 CEST 2001

On Monday, 18. June 2001 00:05, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure of the protocol for code submission, but attached is a little
> patch to improve mplayer's handling of aspect ratio.
>
> Headline improvements are that:
>   - 16:9 (aspect 3) mpeg movies now get the right sized window
>     automatically, or are letterboxed for -fs
>   - non-square pixel video formats are adjusted for.
>   - non-square pixel X display modes are adjusted for
>   - -x/-y are still honoured when used with -fs
>   - -x/-y/-xy can now have <1 "scale down factors".
>   - float parameters can be expressed as rational numbers, ie
>     numerator:denominator or numerator/denominator.  Especially
>     nice for aspect ratios, eg 4:3, 16:9.
>
> Feature can be turned off in config.h.  Docs included in new DOCS file.
>
> Hope that this is useful/welcome - if it is can it be put into the CVS
> source?

Your patch has some inapropriate parts, cause you try to get screen res from
outside an vo driver which actually decides about the screen res and doesn't
me he sets vo_screenwidth and vo_screenheight which also can change
on-the-fly when changing res while running. So only the part for resizing
anamorphic dvd and stuffy by specifying -aspect should be done. Correcting
for non-quadpixel screenres and non-quad displaydevice aspect (ie. 4:3
Monitor, 16:9 LCD, TV) have to be done by vo driver, a reference
implementation for that can be found in thr sdl output driver vo_sdl.c line
481+ (funtion aspect).
--
Best Regards,
   Felix