[Mplayer-dev-eng] Patch to make mplayer smarter about aspect ratios

Stephen Davies steve at daviesfam.org
Mon Jun 18 17:06:43 CEST 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Felix Buenemann wrote:

> Your patch has some inapropriate parts, cause you try to get screen res from
> outside an vo driver which actually decides about the screen res and doesn't
> me he sets vo_screenwidth and vo_screenheight which also can change
> on-the-fly when changing res while running. So only the part for resizing
> anamorphic dvd and stuffy by specifying -aspect should be done. Correcting
> for non-quadpixel screenres and non-quad displaydevice aspect (ie. 4:3
> Monitor, 16:9 LCD, TV) have to be done by vo driver, a reference
> implementation for that can be found in thr sdl output driver vo_sdl.c line
> 481+ (funtion aspect).

Make sure I understand your comment - you don't like the fact that I call
vo_init and then use the vo_screenheight and vo_screenwidth values?  This
is how the old version managed fullscreen.

I did only really think about xv and xmga output...

Your proposal is that this should be in two parts - in mplayer.c to
scale input to "square pixel", and then in the vo drivers themselves
rescale to account for any non-square display resolution?

Steve