[MPlayer-dev-eng] Player Plain Audio Files

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Dec 27 23:44:55 CET 2001

Hi,

> 	I agree...that's why I proposed it.:) My question is, what are the
> technical issues involved? I know that if I try to play an audio-only ASF
> file, for example, MPlayer refuses it and I'm wondering if there's any
> valid technical reason for that, such as the underlying architecture not

yes. current core code is built over video playback, with optional audio.
a new playback core should be implemented for this purpose. (anyway, not too
hard to do).

but we have a non-tech reason as well: mplayer is not an audio player.
current audio players do a _LOT_ more than mplayer will ever do in audio
area. and we simply have no time for improving audio features, what you can
expect from users when we start supporting it.

btw hacking together a console mp3 player with seeking keys and stuff,
should'n take longer than 10 minutes, using getch2, libmpdemux and mp3lib

> supporting it (even though I can force MPlayer to forgo decoding and
> displaying frames with '-vo null -vfm 0').
>
> > also the seeking in videos is very great, a mplayer for MP3-Files using
> > forward and backward keys would be great :-)
>
> 	XMMS has this incredibly advanced feature implemented already...:)
> Or are we talking about a command line player? I agree that seeking has
> been lacking in both mpg123 and ogg123.

latest mpg123 could do that, and my old mpg123 modification called 3pm also do.
(currently listening to mp3s with it - still works. btw it uses mp3lib...)

never used ogg123, but it should be 5 minute to add this.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu