[MPlayer-dev-eng] Non-inline asm code

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Dec 22 18:32:02 CET 2001

Hi,

> > In this case it would be better to write: kill asm stuff by "C" with inline asm.
> > It's no big problem - I'll do it soon (during jan-feb-2002).
> > I don't like function inlining and prefer call them through pointer
> > (for runtime support of each x86 clone - due unnecesary cache pollution).
>
> Agreed. However it WOULD be possible to use "plugins" or whatever you wanted
> to call ... We would be able to produce .a files for every CPUs, maybe
> separated demuxer, native codecs and so on. This technique is used by XFree
> for example: it CAN load .a files runtime! This is quite good thing, since
did you already implemented .a loader/linker? :)

> we don't need use dl_open() and other functions (refeering functions with
> pointers, slowing down because of used register for GOT in shared libraries).
> It would be simply as fast as if mplayer would be statically linked together.
> Nice, isn't it?

.so does the same if compiled without -fPIC option. it's nice feature of
linux, and a few other system (-fPIC means pointers for everythink, but
without fPIC it will be relocated runtime so no pointers needed)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu