[MPlayer-dev-eng] Non-inline asm code

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sat Dec 22 18:29:01 CET 2001

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 06:56:59PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> In this case it would be better to write: kill asm stuff by "C" with inline asm.
> It's no big problem - I'll do it soon (during jan-feb-2002).
> I don't like function inlining and prefer call them through pointer
> (for runtime support of each x86 clone - due unnecesary cache pollution).

Agreed. However it WOULD be possible to use "plugins" or whatever you wanted
to call ... We would be able to produce .a files for every CPUs, maybe
separated demuxer, native codecs and so on. This technique is used by XFree
for example: it CAN load .a files runtime! This is quite good thing, since
we don't need use dl_open() and other functions (refeering functions with
pointers, slowing down because of used register for GOT in shared libraries).
It would be simply as fast as if mplayer would be statically linked together.
Nice, isn't it?

- Gabor