[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer and installation

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Dec 22 00:27:42 CET 2001

Hi,

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 02:23:26PM +0100, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> > On Friday, 21. December 2001 12:22, you wrote:
> > > There's a big problem about this installation. Let's imagine that user do
> > > 'make install' as root to be able to install mplayer into /usr/local/bin.
> > > Now, if from an older install codecs.conf already presents in user's
> > > $HOME/.mplayer, that's cannot be checked by installation script, it will
> > > only know that /usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf exists or not. So it's
> > > almost impossible to produce a good solution for that problem ;-(
> > How about a version string in codecs.conf, so configure and mplayer could
> > check if codecs.conf is valid (if codecs_version < 123
>
> Well, what about if user change codecs.conf? He left version string but he
> spent hours to change orders of codecs and so to fit his needs. We should
> not overwrite it. Maybe we should ask user if we can overwrite it.

this should be solved ASAP.
i suggested an option like codec_priority about a month ago.
it should override order of codecs in codecs.conf. codecs not listed with
this option remain after this list in their original order.

so, users could override codecs selection a bit more user friendly way than
vfm=5 and such hacks.

the second, and not so easy problem is libao/vo - a/v codecs connection.
as you know, they aren't all compatible. especially the hardware decoders.

we should introduce very basic automatical colorspace conversion stuff,
afaik most of needed converters are implemenetd by Michael.
so, if libvo-codec pairing fails (now user get incompatibility error) we
should choose (at least try) the best converter and use it.

of course this will be much better in libvo2, but as a quick hack, it could
help a lot. at least in delaying release...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu