[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer and installation

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Fri Dec 21 14:59:55 CET 2001

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 12:22:28 +0100
Gábor Lénárt <lgb at lgb.hu> wrote:

> There's a big problem about this installation. Let's imagine that user do
> 'make install' as root to be able to install mplayer into /usr/local/bin.
> Now, if from an older install codecs.conf already presents in user's
> $HOME/.mplayer, that's cannot be checked by installation script, it will only
> know that /usr/local/share/mplayer/codecs.conf exists or not. So it's almost
> impossible to produce a good solution for that problem ;-(

I don't think it's impossible, we can check all /home subdirs to see if there is a
.mplayer/codecs.conf file and if it exist propose an update.
Perhaps the home dir isn't very standard throw OS/distrib/install but we can try
to detect it in the configure. And when it's in the configure the user can always override it.
I don't think many users have non standard home dir, the few who have will not make
many problems (if they can set it) as they will surelly be advanced users.
	Albeu