[MPlayer-dev-eng] Questions About Audio Decoding

Alex Beregszaszi alex at naxine.org
Fri Dec 21 20:49:25 CET 2001

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 12:35:56PM -0700, Mike Melanson wrote:

> > are you going to implement 4bit rle too, or only 16bit? (xa_rle.c is 16bit
> > only, if i'm right)
>
> 	Actually, per my understanding, xa_rle.c only handles the
> Microsoft flavor of RLE, which only has 4- and 8-bit variants. Looking in
> the XAnim source, the file xa_qt_decs.c has Apple's flavor of RLE, which
> comes in *7* variants (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 24, and 32bpp), believe it or not.
> The latter is what I'm going after.
are you willing to add only apple variant of rle? (i mean 4bit msrle variant
can be added too)
have you got some samples? can you upload it?

> > how do you mean that?
>
> 	VP3, as I understand it, is supported in MPlayer via a Win32
> codec. This is suboptimal, particularly when the VP3 sources are open. If
> I have this situation incorrect, someone please let me know before I hurt
> myself on the code.

did you saw the sourcecode? i think it's hard to implement it into mplayer
(the win32 version is fully completed in the sources, the linux one is
non-completed), but i wish you good luck to it.

> > is this voxware codec too ? can you upload samples using this video codec?
>
> 	No, it's a different video codec; I'm sure of that. I'll certainly
> upload samples if I get both decoders operational.
>
> 	-Mike Melanson

alex