[MPlayer-dev-eng] Questions About Audio Decoding

Mike Melanson melanson at pcisys.net
Fri Dec 21 20:35:56 CET 2001

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:

> > > * Quicktime color depth
> > > * Apple Animation (RLE)
> are you going to implement 4bit rle too, or only 16bit? (xa_rle.c is 16bit
> only, if i'm right)

	Actually, per my understanding, xa_rle.c only handles the
Microsoft flavor of RLE, which only has 4- and 8-bit variants. Looking in
the XAnim source, the file xa_qt_decs.c has Apple's flavor of RLE, which
comes in *7* variants (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 24, and 32bpp), believe it or not.
The latter is what I'm going after.

> > > * VP3 native support
> how do you mean that?

	VP3, as I understand it, is supported in MPlayer via a Win32
codec. This is suboptimal, particularly when the VP3 sources are open. If
I have this situation incorrect, someone please let me know before I hurt
myself on the code.

> > > * Another video codec that no one else but me cares about (goes with audio
> > > format 0x62)
>
> is this voxware codec too ? can you upload samples using this video codec?

	No, it's a different video codec; I'm sure of that. I'll certainly
upload samples if I get both decoders operational.

	-Mike Melanson