[MPlayer-dev-eng] Preliminary dvd navigation support through libdvdnav

pl p_l at tfz.net
Thu Dec 20 00:09:33 CET 2001

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 09:54:21PM +0100, David Holm wrote:

> But suddenly I popup with this little patch for mplayer =) which enables dvd
> navigation support by using the yet to be released libdvdnav from
> dvd.sourceforge.net..
> This is mostly a
> will-Arpi-accept-this-patch-when-its-done-since-it-does-lot-of-stuff-with-mplayer-code
> release, so it isn't very useful yet (dvd's play, but navigation doesn't work
> yet). Also libdvdnav is not released yet and is still in development so the
> purpose is almost exclusively to get Arpi's permission to continiue work on
> this (in the manner I have begun). (no, I don't want write access to cvs root
> back, write access to the dxr3 code is sufficient =).
>
> To use this you will have to fetch the cvs module named (unfortunately)
> xine-dvdnav from dvd.sourceforge.net, forget that it is called xine =).
> Configure and make it, don't make install unless you want to use it in xine
> as well. Then enter a patched mplayer and issue "./configure
> --with-libdvdnav=$(XINE-DVDNAVDIR)/libdvdnav/" if you did everything right
> mplayer should say something like "Checking for DVD support ... libdvdnav".
> libdvdnav can be linked against libdvdread which can be linked with libcss so
> insert favourite CSS-license-warning here.
>
> If it doesn't work let me now, or more importantly, if I'm allowed to
> continiue development let me know.... I'd prefer to have kbdkeys+enter for
> dvd navigation, but that is pushing it right?
> I know there are lots of issues, a/v sync, subpics etc. As I said, this is
> more of a may-I-continiue development patch than anything else.

It works here with xv/x11 (nvidia card).

It displays the nav menu but there are a few glitches (as you may expect
it for an early alpha ;), that's not bugreports just an enum FYI:
 - the choice is not displayed/selected (as in ogle for instance where
   the chosen menu is of another color)
 - -cache messes the navigation keys (they don't seem to work any longer)
   and without -cache playback is bad quality
 - seek does not work as it used to (with plain dvdread support I mean)
 - the movies don't seem to start on the DVD I tested

Anyway, it looks quite promising :)

--
Best regards,
  pl