[MPlayer-dev-eng] [offtopic]: xmpeg & Linux porting?

Kim Minh Kaplan kmkaplan at selfoffice.com
Wed Dec 19 16:13:43 CET 2001

Arpi writes:

> btw, i asked others when started mencoder, about subtitle rendering.
> everyone said - why? it's better to rip them to text and render them at
> playback time, with nicer fonts and without degrading compressed video
> quality by wasting bits for subtitle and its outline.
> so, i've left out all subtitle related stuff from mencoder...
> (and started thinking about OCR-like stuff for mencoder)

One of the reasons is that DVD subtitles are not limited to text (as a
matter of fact I think they are called subpictures not subtitles).
Another one is that any program that is able to read the movie will
see the subtitles, no need to include support for yet another weird
format.

OTOH I do agree that support for external file subtitle would be good.
But limiting them to text and requiring OCR in the encoder seems
dubious.  Currently I think more in the line of Vobsub...

Kim Minh.