[MPlayer-dev-eng] Streaming and buggy servers

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 10:16:17 CET 2001

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 01:27 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:55:22 +0200
>
> Hetz Ben-Hamo <hetz at kde.org> wrote:
> > Well, you needs some asf streams, why didn't you say so?
> >
> > windowsmedia.com got tons of them (lots of them are smart links to other
> > sites who display pages and then sends streams). Also,
> > http://radio.yahoo.com got tons of them (again, it shows pages, then try
> > to load a player and send a stream)...
>
> But they use M$ http server wich seem buggy look at this http request
> result from broadcast.com
>
>  :http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=5619&s=78015940&ru=radio%2E
>  :embedded%2Eyahoo%2Ecom&b=b3ee0notomvvs3c1642a9&ext=1
>
>  0 - Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
>  1 - Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:08:41 GMT
>  2 - Pragma: no-cache
>  3 - Cache-Control: private
>  4 - Expires: Tue Dec 11 19:08:41 2001
>  5 - Content-Length: 504
>
> Normaly I think the fields are separated by \r\n and after the expires
> fields there is just a \n. And mplayer seen no Content-Type field and can't
> play the stream.
>
> Must we wait the guys from M$ to fix this ?? ;·)
>
> This is just to say that I think many server aroud are more or less buggy
> and working around all this will be somewhat difficult. It's better to
> sitck with the "official" protocol but must we let so many broadcaster ?

Ok, I can put a work around for those kind of sever that just return a \n
instead of \r\n, I will put this on my TODO list.
Anyway, the video/x-ms-asf is a ASX, so you should see the content
of the ASX and then have to take the URL from this. This URL
should point to a windows media server (Server: Cougar) and not
an IIS.

Can you send me your patch again made against the latest CVS, I'm
not gonna touch those files right now, so this new patch shouldn't conflict.
And also send me the link you are testing against. The link I tried with your
previous patch didn't work for me, so I don't know if it the link or your
patch. BTW the server I'm testing from is on a LAN so I can't give you
the URL :(

Bertrand