[MPlayer-dev-eng] Streaming and buggy servers

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Tue Dec 11 22:27:02 CET 2001

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:55:22 +0200
Hetz Ben-Hamo <hetz at kde.org> wrote:

> Well, you needs some asf streams, why didn't you say so?
>
> windowsmedia.com got tons of them (lots of them are smart links to other
> sites who display pages and then sends streams). Also, http://radio.yahoo.com
> got tons of them (again, it shows pages, then try to load a player and send a
> stream)...

But they use M$ http server wich seem buggy look at this http request result from broadcast.com
 :http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=5619&s=78015940&ru=radio%2Eembedded%2Eyahoo%2Ecom&b=b3ee0notomvvs3c1642a9&ext=1

 0 - Server: Microsoft-IIS/4.0
 1 - Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:08:41 GMT
 2 - Pragma: no-cache
 3 - Cache-Control: private
 4 - Expires: Tue Dec 11 19:08:41 2001
 5 - Content-Length: 504

Normaly I think the fields are separated by \r\n and after the expires fields there is just a
\n. And mplayer seen no Content-Type field and can't play the stream.

Must we wait the guys from M$ to fix this ?? ;·)

This is just to say that I think many server aroud are more or less buggy and working around all this will be
somewhat difficult. It's better to sitck with the "official" protocol but must we let so many broadcaster ?