[MPlayer-dev-eng] MMS Streaming

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 20:53:01 CET 2001

On Tuesday 04 December 2001 05:47 pm, you wrote:
> I am using "mms://mslive.net-36.net/panamsatedge117" as my test stream.
> Ok. I can see that HTTP is needed for MMS encapsulation.  If I do a HTTP
> stream, the filesize does get read in right. As for the live MMS stream, it
> keeps looping in the asf_stream_start() function after reading in the
> header. I can see that the live stream will return a file size of 0 bytes
> on purpose.

I can't connect to the stream.
What did you mean by a HTTP stream? A stream that's coming from a webserver
or a stream that is coming from a WMS (Windows Media Server).
All video files coming from a webserver are supposed to be streamed properly.
This should work, I tested it with avi, mpeg, asf, wmv...
Everything coming from a WMS is buggy, ie, live stream(not seekable) or
prerecorded stream(seekable). This is because the WMS is changing some
header fields in the ASF and mplayer is not yet aware of this.
I need to check the difference in the ASF header size directly from the
file and the one coming from the server. It looks like they are different.
There is a field that hold the file size, but at the first glance, I will have
to do a hack in the asf header. I figured out several fields in the asf
headers and I will try to make the changes in mplayer. So the file
size should be fixed with this.

> And the MMS live stream will not return EOF (as with a regular ASF file).

No, the streaming protocol specifies a packet for the end of
transmission.

> So, I can see mplayer will return "no video/audio streams." Looks like
> mplayer is looking for EOF before the streams are played.

This is because the file size is not set properly. In addition of this, if
the file size is set properly, the stream will still end because there is no
prebuffer yet.

Bertrand