[Mplayer-dev-eng] Re: DVD raw mode, IFO Parsing and AC3 through SPDIF

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Apr 27 23:40:54 CEST 2001

Hi,

> 	Sorry for posting to the hungarian list, of course I cannot speak
> hungarian (I'm from Spain) so I've unsuscribed myself from mplayer-devel,
> and subscribe to mplayer-dev-eng. Hope everybody at the hungarian list
> that can read english is subscribed to this also.
Ok, no problem. Btw this list was created today :)

Some months ago all the mplayer developers were from Hungary, and some of
them doesn't speak english good enough. Including me :(

> 	First of all, I would like to say that my work is just integrating
> other people work, I've 'stolen' code from the xine project (that in fact
> 'stole' the code from the livid dvd project, VIVA GPL!), although it seems
About half of mplayer code is "stolen".

> that mplayer is far better at AC3 decoding that xine, because with mplayer
> I can play Matrix without problems while with Xine and other DVD players I
> get CRC problems at some scenes (Trinity fighting the cops at the
> beginning, Trinity and Neo at the metal detector, etc).
:)
Yes, mplayer is very stable playing bad and strange sterams, because I wrote
the stream parser/demuxer from scratch, using very bad, damaged streams
for testing. AVI is the hardest thing... it's far from its original
fileformat standard, and every encode uses different tricks. Also, A-V sync
isn't correctly solved.

> 	I'm working in improving a bit the LIRC support for DVD playing,
> next/prev chapter, select chapter by number, change audio track, etc. Not
> dificult so it should be quite straightforward.
Ok.

> 	Other thing I would like to see in mplayer is some
> 'postprocessing' capabilities, things like brightness/contrast/color
> correction are really usefull for some files/DVDs, as now this is beyond
> my knowledge, so is anybody out there?
I already did it, but not yet finished. So skip this job.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu