[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: Some questions about MPlayer.

Victor Farias nk21507 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 7 05:26:02 CEST 2006

Hi :p

Thanks for the reply.

> > (1) I was testing the vo=gl2 output in MPlayer under Windows (compiled
> > using MinGW), and I was able to see a big difference in colors between
> > that output and the default output (vo=directx). I understand that
> > this is a colorspace "problem", but using ffdshow+mpc (in overlay
> > mode) the colors look the same as using vo=gl2 in MPlayer.[...]
>
>I am not aware of a major difference, but you can change the colors for
>vo directx via the 1-8 keys and usually also via the control panel of
>your graphics card drivers. Maybe you changed something there and all
>other players just ignore those settings (or MPlayer ignores them).

I think this is a problem related to NVIDIA(tm) video drivers (something
about insane contrast and saturation values).

When I said "... using ffdshow+mpc (in overlay mode) the colors look the
same as using vo=gl2 in MPlayer.", I did not realize that in the ffdshow

- All the planar and packed output colorspaces were disabled.
- All the RGB output colorspaces were enabled.
- The "High quality YV12 to RGB conversion" option was enabled.

When using the default output settings for ffdshow, the color is the same as
using vo=directx.

So, it seems to be an issue not related to MPlayer.

> > (2) Another question: Due to the fact that vo=gl2 uses window
> > decoration (title bar, maximize button, etc) as default:
> >
> > a) Could be posible to change the behavior in the
> > double-click-over-the-title-bar/maximize button into fullscreen?.
>
>Possible yes. But I doubt anyone will do it. So far a lot of contributions
>to MPlayer's Windows support still comes from people that actually don't
>use
>Windows anymore, so there is not much to expect. And this includes me.
>I'm rarely motivated to boot windows just to fix MPlayer stuff.

Fair enough... I thought about changing this behavior because when you
maximize the window (using vo=gl/gl2), the aspect ratio values will not be
taken into account (MPlayer will just fill all the desktop with the video
window). Going into fullscreen would "avoid" this issue and would be the
same behavior as using vo=directx.

> > b) Could be posible to disable window movements when you click-move
> > the video screen? (current behavior will move the video window and
> > will not receive the single/double left-click input message).
>
>You should receive the input messages by pressing CTRL while clicking. A
>patch to change this behaviour is available (to move the window except
>via title bar you would then have to press the ALT key), but so far there
>was one person for and one person against the change - which is not
>enough to convince me to make the change.

The "move the window only when using the title bar" behavior is the default
behavior under Windows (and it is the current behavior when using
vo=directx).

I reported this just because of consistency ;)

> > c) Could be posible to take into account the window decoration when
> > using the geometry option? (current behavior does not take into
> > account the window decoration. You can try using geometry=0:0 to see
> > what I mean).
>
>This is intentional and unlikely to be changed.

I also reported this just because of consistency ;)

> > (3) The following is just a report: When the resolution of a video is
> > bigger than the resolution of your desktop (e.g. 1280x720 v/s
> > 1024x768) and you are using vo=gl/gl2, then the position of the video
> > will be strange (you can only see the half of the image, the other
> > half is out of the screen).[...]
>
>You are using pre8?
>If it's not fixed I'll have another look at it. This is probably related
>to another fix, before it would not allow the window to become bigger
>than the screen size, resulting in a squished image (per default,
>Windows does not allow windows to be bigger than screen size, bah).

Yes, and I tried using latest SVN (18929) too... But the same behavior is
triggered.

> > (4) I almost forgot about this one: When I play a file that has this
> > letter "ñ" (I hope you can see it, it is an "n" with a tilde on top)
> > in the filename, then the windows console (CMD) with display that
> > letter correctly, but MPlayer will display that letter as a strange
> > symbol "±". Is it a Windows issue or something related to MPlayer?.[...]
>
>Try setting the MPLAYER_CHARSET environment variable or the -msgcharset
>options (also try "noconv"), but I'm not sure if it will help.

This is a Windows(tm) problem... CMD does not support unicode correctly. The
only way to fix this, was changing the code page used in CMD ("Windows 1252"
instead of "OEM 437").

Thanks for all the hard work you (all the dev team) are doing!!!

Byes :(

Yakusoku wa iranai.