[MPlayer-cygwin] Using mplayer to save RTSP stream to a local file

Barry Kelly barry.j.kelly at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 13:53:24 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:38:28 -0500, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:

> mplayer should be able to dump any mms:// stream, rtsp://.rm streams
> any http:// stream. pnm and rtsp://file.mov are more difficult.
>
> unfortunately mplayer does not save a video stream as fast as possible
> on windows you should use a stream recording program like Net Transport
> or Streambox VCR suite 2.0. you can learn more about these programs at:
>
> http://p084.ezboard.com/fstreemeboxvcrfrm7.showMessage?topicID=115.topic
>
> a very detailed list of stream recording programs, what formats they
> support, and if they are freeware/shareware

Would it be possible to modify mplayer to stream as fast as possible?
Or is there an inherent limit related to the plugin libraries that it
loads?

Although StreamBox VCR can do the job (and thanks for the tip), I'd
prefer a command-line program: I can script it, put it in my crontab,
etc.

-- Thanks,

Barry.