[MPlayer-cygwin] Using mplayer to save RTSP stream to a local file

compn tempn at twmi.rr.com
Thu Feb 17 13:38:28 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:56:49 +0000
Barry Kelly <barry.j.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:08:41 -0500, compn <tempn at twmi.rr.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:19:43 +0000
> > Barry Kelly <barry.j.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:

> > uhhhhh...
>
> Bear in mind I have never run mplayer, nor have I downloaded it.

why not read the manual then? http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.txt
search for -dumpstream.

> > -dumpstream works fine :)
> >
> > otherwise for live rtsp streams you can do some trickery
> > mplayer rtsp://blah.mov -ao pcm:file=blah.wav -dumpvideo , or run dumpaudio and
> > dumpvideo seperately, then combine later with any good video editor.
> >
> > unless i am misunderstanding what you want to do?
>
> I'm trying to download video lectures for a course on ocw.mit.edu
> (they're streamed from Akamai), so the streams aren't live, but they
> are fairly long: 60+ hours. (I have a 2Mb connection here.) Should I
> presume that -dumpvideo isn't going to slow down to the speed of the
> video itself?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- Barry

mplayer should be able to dump any mms:// stream, rtsp://.rm streams
any http:// stream. pnm and rtsp://file.mov are more difficult.

unfortunately mplayer does not save a video stream as fast as possible
on windows you should use a stream recording program like Net Transport
or Streambox VCR suite 2.0. you can learn more about these programs at:

http://p084.ezboard.com/fstreemeboxvcrfrm7.showMessage?topicID=115.topic

a very detailed list of stream recording programs, what formats they
support, and if they are freeware/shareware