[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: cdda and vcd options for mingw/cygwin

Erik Lunchpail erik_27can at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 07:39:16 CET 2005

> Ummm... what were the minor adjustments? I've been
> able to compile under cygwin
> and mingw with no adjustments, but then I guess that
> should come as no surprise.
> As best as I can tell, cdparnoia on cygwin works
> just about the same as it does
> on GNU/Linux (Solaris, FreeBSD, OSX). It passes all
> of the regression tests
> which include cdparanoia regression tests.

I should have specified, they were both CVS downloads
from a few days prior to my post. latest libcdio
release compiles with no modifications. CVS from just
now for libcdio:

Firstly, it just fails because there's no version.texi
in doc from CVS, which I just copied from a release
tarball.

In file included from common_interface.h:30,
                 from common_interface.c:30:
low_interface.h:33:23: sys/ioctl.h: No such file or
directory
low_interface.h:35:21: sys/ipc.h: No such file or
directory
low_interface.h:36:21: sys/sem.h: No such file or
directory
low_interface.h:37:21: sys/shm.h: No such file or
directory
make[3]: *** [common_interface.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/mingw/libcdio/lib/cdda_interface'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mingw/libcdio/lib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mingw/libcdio'
make: *** [all] Error 2

fixed with some #ifndef's,

scan_devices.c:34:17: pwd.h: No such file or directory
scan_devices.c: In function `cdio_cddap_find_a_cdrom':
scan_devices.c:118: warning: implicit declaration of
function `getpwuid'
scan_devices.c:118: warning: implicit declaration of
function `geteuid'
scan_devices.c:118: warning: assignment makes pointer
from integer without a cast
scan_devices.c:121: dereferencing pointer to
incomplete type
scan_devices.c: In function `test_resolve_symlink':
scan_devices.c:161: warning: implicit declaration of
function `lstat'
scan_devices.c:166: warning: implicit declaration of
function `realpath'
make[3]: *** [scan_devices.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/mingw/libcdio/lib/cdda_interface'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mingw/libcdio/lib'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mingw/libcdio'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I forget what i did with this, it was a while ago.
Even with the troublesome block uncommented, and the
cdda_interface library created, it ends with many
unresolved symbols, some of which i resolved by with
additional library linking.

Ok next, vcdimager:

Again, version-vcd-info.texi, vcd-vcdxrip.texi not in
docs, fixed by coping from a release. At the time
there might have been a compile error but i forget,
seems to work fine now if you add the .texi files.

> This may seem a bit obvious, but if you have
> problems andyou keep it pretty much
> to yourself it's probably not going to get fixed let
> alone do all that much good
> to others who might have the same problem ;-)

Granted, yet my skillset does not lie in programming,
in any language. My approach is, if I can't fix it, I
comment it out, which is laughable at best, especially
to those with programming knowledge. So my best bet is
to bring attention to the problem so that I can get a
"plumber to fix the plumbing", rather than fiddle with
pipes while up to my knees in water :)

> In mplayer? In the CVS source I looked at and I just
> updated I don't see mkdir
> and it seems a bit odd that a CD-DA plugin for
> Mplayer would be trying to create
> a directory, no?

s/cdda.c/cddb.c (grep mkdir in libmpdemux, it's the
only file that returns)

> Dunno. Although I'm now of the opinion that some of
> the CD-DA problems that were
> reported on slow Plextor drives may just be solved
> via libcdio, it doesn't seem
> like there's all that much interest on the Mplayer
> side. The ball's been in
> their court for both CD-DA and VCD for a while and
> they haven't done any of
> their homework.

It seems to me to be the most viable solution at the
moment for cdda and vcd playback for mingw builds, but
as stated above, I really don't have the tools to make
a fair assessment. It would be nice to see support for
those options in the mingw builds in the near future.
Understandably, functionality and stability are the
main focuses for mplayer, unfortunately the
side-effects are "slow-going" additions to the windows
build ie. cdda, vcd, gui(which most windows users
can't do without.)

Regards,
Erik