[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: cdda and vcd options for mingw/cygwin

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Thu Feb 3 06:04:30 CET 2005

Erik Lunchpail <erik_27can <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Greetings all,
>
> I was looking into a few options for adding cdda and
> vcd support in mingw/cygwin and came up with a few
> resources. Knowing that mplayer uses cdparanoia for

> Unfortunately, I just can't get it to work under
> mingw. libcdio and vcdimager both compiled with some
> minor adjustments in mingw,

Ummm... what were the minor adjustments? I've been able to compile under cygwin
and mingw with no adjustments, but then I guess that should come as no surprise.
As best as I can tell, cdparnoia on cygwin works just about the same as it does
on GNU/Linux (Solaris, FreeBSD, OSX). It passes all of the regression tests
which include cdparanoia regression tests.

This may seem a bit obvious, but if you have problems andyou keep it pretty much
to yourself it's probably not going to get fixed let alone do all that much good
to others who might have the same problem ;-)  Alas the period of greatest local
benefit has just passed since release 0.72 has come out.

> I looked into trying to combine the above two to make
> appropriate libraries and headers at least enough for
> cd playback, and was able to at least get the headers
> right enough that mplayer compiled with minimal
> changes (mkdir has too many arguments in cdda.c,

In mplayer? In the CVS source I looked at and I just updated I don't see mkdir
and it seems a bit odd that a CD-DA plugin for Mplayer would be trying to create
a directory, no?

> remove 0755 from the function). But was unable to get
> a proper library going.

Dunno why this should be and what's written above is pretty vague. But try with
the released code 0.72 as there have been slight bug fixes up until the release.

> Given that cdparanoia is almost completely
> unmaintained nowadays, and i'm sure Rocky would love
> to see a complete libcdio conversion into mplayer,

Dunno. Although I'm now of the opinion that some of the CD-DA problems that were
reported on slow Plextor drives may just be solved via libcdio, it doesn't seem
like there's all that much interest on the Mplayer side. The ball's been in
their court for both CD-DA and VCD for a while and they haven't done any of
their homework. As for myself, there seem to be many many many gaps in libcdio
and I'll focus on other areas where gains can be made without much hassle.
On the media player side, fixing the VCD plugin on vlc. I believe the libcdio
vlc CD-DA plugin already *does* work and now also with paranoia.