[MPlayer-cygwin] GUI under Win

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon May 31 22:24:40 CEST 2004

Szecsi Gabor writes:
> Diego wrote:
>
> >> Could you post a short HOWTO, please?  I had to wade through a bunch
> >> of compilation errors before I got it to compile and I did not manage
> >> to run gmplayer (I have to admit that I have never used Cygwin X
> >> before).  This would be much appreciated.
>
> The way I had done my compilation:
>
> I have installed the recent version of the basic cygwin system plus
> some additional packages like freetype, fontconfig and such, Of course
> with all corresponding devel packages also. X11 installation was the
> same, note that the older xfree86 package is deprecated so X11 needed
> with devel packages - I have installed almost everything except some
> that I obviously dont't need. The mirror I used is: ftp.tuke.sk but
> other should work too. Next step: GTK. Proper server is
> cygnome.sourceforge.net. (simply add
> http://cygnome.sourceforge.net/install to the mirror list in the setup
> program) The packaged I installed from CYGNOME project: glib, gtk+,
> glib-devel, gtk+-devel. After install you have to copy the
> /opt/gnome/bin to /bin and I think /opt/gnome/include to /usr/include
> but that is not certain. After all these you should be able to
> ./configure and compile mplayer with gui. At least I have succeeded :)
> I used a fresh cygwin install.

OK, here is a short guide, I and Sascha fixed a few remaining
problems, it should compile out of the box with latest CVS now.

1) install glib-devel and gtk+-devel packages
2) configure --with-extraincdir=/opt/gnome/include
3) make
4) install a skin
5) export PATH=/opt/gnome/bin:$PATH
6) ./gmplayer

For added fun start X with the -rootless option.  It does still have
lots of quirks, though, there are no window borders, the cursor is
changed into the X Window cross when over the MPlayer window etc.

Diego