[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: Problems compiling for windows platform

Rui Correia rds_correia at sapo.pt
Thu May 20 14:56:35 CEST 2004

Sascha Sommer <saschasommer <at> freenet.de> writes:

> > Hi there,
> > I am trying to compile MPlayer/MEncoder for Windows using Cygwin.
> > I have several questions:
> > - Does somebody know which is the minimal set of packages I have to
> download for
> > Cygwin to compile MPlayer? I downloaded ~20Mb of packages which I think
> are not
> > necessary...
>
> Hard to tell, but you need at least the windows api package, the directx
> headers
> from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32-beta/contrib and gcc
> etc.
>
> > - I tried to compile but now MEncoder looks into Linux-like paths such as
> > home/rds_correia/...
> > Anyway I can make it to look for correct Windows-like paths such as Sascha
> > Sommer's compilings? Would --target=Platform help?
> > - What kind of options are there for the --target configure option? Could
> I use
> > --target=i386-windows?
> >
> > BTW I am trying to compile so that I can use DirectShow filters but when I
> use
> > --enable-dshow I end up with a lot of errors when I "make".
> > Also if somebody could give me a nice set of options for "configure"?
> > I am using something like: ./configure --enable-largefiles --enable-static
> > --confdir=mplayer/ --enable-win32 --enable-directx
> > Could somebody give me some help on these issues?
> > Thanks in advance
>
> I'm not sure if the cygwin port is really what you are looking for. If you
> want to create a standalone
> mplayer use msys and mingw to compile mplayer. I usually run configure on
> msys with
> ./configure --enable-runtime-cpudetection --enable-vidix --enable-static --w
> ith-codecsdir=codecs
> not sure if this work on cygwin but you probably will have to alter
> the --with-codecsdir dir option to use absolute paths for
> example --with-codecsdir=c:/codecs
>
> Sascha

Hi Sascha,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
Can you tell me where to get the windows api package?
Everything else I already have on disk.
By codecs dir you mean the directory where I have downloaded the win32codecs
from http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/ ?
Aren't those just for running MPlayer under Linux and be able to read movies
encoded with windows codecs?
BTW when you run the ./configure ... on your PC does it say Environment ...
Cygwin or MinGW?
Mine says Cygwin. I tried --target=i386-windows and then it said Environment ...
Windows.
And it always says Directshow ... Disabled.
In fact I'm still trying to use AVISynth scripts as source for MEncoder as these
come with wonderfull filters. Some are already built-in in MPlayer/MEncoder but
a lot of them aren't.
I'm only trying to enable Directshow because I want to use Milan Cutka's
makeAVIS that comes with FFdshow from http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/ .
makeAVIS reads the AVISynth script and makes a fake AVI readable by MEncoder.
That is, it was readable by MEncoder with a small adjustment on the codecs.conf
file to include it's support:
videocodec makeavis
  info "FFvfw makeavis"
  status untested
  fourcc AVIS
  driver vfw
  dll ffvfw
  out YV12
But now it's not video for windows based anymore. It's Directshow based.
So I changed the codecs.conf to:
videocodec makeavis
  info "FFdshow makeAVIS"
  status untested
  fourcc AVIS
  driver dshow
  dll "c:\video\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax"
  out YV12
This FFdshow installs an ffdshow.ax codec file that gets registered in the
registry for the fourcc [AVIS] which is the fourcc on the AVI files created by
makeAVIS.
But now I always get an error message talking about Directshow filter not found
or something (don't remember the log it creates and I'm at work now...)
So I recompiled MPlayer/MEncoder and noticed during the ./configure it says
something about directshow not enabled.
And when I use ./configure --enable-largefiles --enable-static
--confdir=mplayer/ --enable-win32 --enable-directx --enable-dshow it bombs me
while "make".
Confusing?
If so let me know so I can try to put it in other words :)
TIA

Rui Correia