[MPlayer-cygwin] Cygwin port won't play on other PC

Stefan Gürtler Stefan.guertler at stud.tum.de
Thu Jul 29 16:19:19 CEST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Diego Biurrun" <diego at biurrun.de>
To: "Win32/CygWin porting" <mplayer-cygwin at mplayerhq.hu>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-cygwin] Cygwin port won't play on other PC

> Stefan Gürtler writes:
> >
> > Is there a possibility to get the -dumplog option into normal mingw
builds.
> > It can be very helpfull when there are problems while dropping clips on
> > mplayer.exe.
> > Then it is
> > 1. Editing mplayer/config                #easy
> > 2. Drop the file onto mplayer.exe    #easy
> > 3. reading log.txt                            #easy
>
> This is a hack and you should just set up your system properly to deal
> with it.
>
> > instead of
> > 1. Open command.com / cmd.exe    #easy
> > 2. Change to the placer where mplayer is    #tedious
>
> Set up a cmd.exe that starts in that dir or just put mplayer.exe in
> your path.
>
> > 3. typ mplayer.exe C:\Very\long\and\tedious\path\to\movie.ext > log.txt
> > #tedious
>
> Just open a command prompt in the folder with your movie, you do have
> mplayer.exe in your patch, haven't you?
>
> To make this even easier, go to
>
> http://biurrun.de/NT/tips+tricks.html#console
>
> and install shell.reg.  This will add a context menu entry into the
> Windows explorer that opens a command prompt in the current folder.
>
> > #command.com can only show few lines, no scrolling back. Therefore >
log.txt
> > 4. view log.txt                                #easy
>
> cmd.exe can show many many lines of scrollback, just set it up
> properly.
>
> Diego

I have the extension to open a command promt from context menue, but up to
now i do not have mplayer.exe in the Windows PATH. Once I have tryed it and
something uppset me, but i have forgotten what it was.
Still you are right, it is possible to get along without it.

By the way, as Win98 user, the easiest way to get folder completion is to
use cmd.exe from ReactOS project. It has build in tab completion, remebers
more than one command and there is a hack to get some scrollback
functionality (using a small program named consize). But that one is a
cygwin compile that needs its cygwin1.dll, and so version conflicts come up
easily. And it has problems with linebreaks when used for MSYS or cygwin :(

Stefan