[MPlayer-cygwin] Using mplayer with another app + problemswithstdin

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Fri Jul 23 00:00:25 CEST 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 09:21:56AM -0500, Chhaya, Harshal wrote:
> Joey,
>
> > That's my port, actually.  Hi.
>
> Hi Joey. And thanks for the port. It has been really, really
> useful.
>
> BTW, does it support the vidix stuff?

No, I have not had any success with vidix under windows.  Maybe it has
to do with my limited windows dev environment.  But I can't test and
directx works well enough for most, so I don't bother with vidix.

> > I've been meaning to release a new one, but have had strange issues
> > transitioning to mingw.  I'm thinking I might just stick with cygwin
> > instead.
>
> I don't know if it is the difference between mingw and cygwin, but
> your port's ability to read a file from stdin is what I needed. If
> it was because of cygwin, consider this a vote to stay with cygwin.

It's highly likely.  Cygwin uses a translation layer to convert posix
calls to the windows API.  This means that cygwin does a lot of the
painful porting for me.  Most of my porting work on cygwin has been
about the packaged environment and behavior rather than getting it to
work under windows.

> If I play the file from the command line like 'mplayer file.mpg', no
> problems. But if I pass it via stdin, 'mplayer - < file.mpg', the first
> few seconds have very noticeable blocking.

Strange.  I have no idea.  I've not used mplayer like that much...
mencoder gives me reason for that more often.  (Concatenating videos and
re-encoding or fixing timestamps, etc.)

> I can't use the stdin with the default release so I really don't have
> anything to compare.

Yeah, stdin ought to work out of the box on cygwin.  Feel free to
compile it from source.  I don't even have any patches to recommend for
a standard install.

> My test file is pretty big (~47MB) but if you want it, let me know.

Send me mail in private, I'll send you ftp instructions.
I've got the bandwidth to recieve it.

> Thanks again for the port and for your help.

No problem.  I'm glad to be of help.

--Joey

--
"SAKE!!!!" --Tom Cruise