[MPlayer-cygwin] Using mplayer with another app + problems withstdin

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Wed Jul 21 09:27:56 CEST 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 05:33:28PM -0500, Chhaya, Harshal wrote:
> Thanks for that great tip. I found a CygWin port at
> http://armory.nicewarrior.org/projects/cygmp/ but it is somewhat
> old (from Nov 2003).

That's my port, actually.  Hi.
I've been meaning to release a new one, but have had strange issues
transitioning to mingw.  I'm thinking I might just stick with cygwin
instead.

> The stdin stuff works great on that release so looks like CygWin
> is the way to go. However, the above version seems to have some
> problems. Maybe it is a codec problem but the video playback had
> some very noticeable block artifacts.

Strange.  Can you send details?  I'd like to find/fix that if it's at
all my fault.  Does the same file play well on other copies of MPlayer?
If so, which ones?

> Is there a later build available?

Not from my port, no.  There are more recent builds by other people.
Mine are built on cygwin with a special set of patches designed to fit
MPlayer into an environment it's not natively happy in.

> Or if I want to build it myself, is there a guide on the steps involved?

It's pretty much the same as compiling any other piece of linux
software, even on cygwin.
./configure to configure the available features,
if you are missing things you want, stop and install the deps...
./configure, make sure everything is the way you want it,
make
make install

Unless you are doing weird things about the install environment (like in
my packages) then that's all you need to do.  If you've compiled
software from source under GNU/Linux systems, this process should be
quite familiar.

--Joey

--
"I eat donuts for dying children." --Andrew