[MPlayer-cygwin] Preliminary Cygwin compilation guide

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Jul 12 02:40:13 CEST 2004

Chris Taylor writes:
> Begin:
>
> mkdir /usr/src/mplayer	# This is to seperate mplayer and related tools from the rest of your system, mostly for organisations sake.
> cd /usr/src/mplayer

I would say it's best to compile in your home dir, let people get used
to good habits.

> wget -c http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/essential-20040427.tar.bz2

You also need Windows Real codecs, the Linux ones don't work under
Windows.

While we are at it, shall I create a Windows codecs package?

> LAME is used for mencoder. Parts may be required for mplayer

It's only necessary for MEncoder.

> Now we start getting into the optional stuff.. Output formats, input formats, and so on.
>
> wget -c http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/fame/libfame-0.9.1.tar.gz

What would you need libfame for?

> wget -c http://files.xvid.org/downloads/xvidcore-1.0.1.tar.bz2

libavcodec should be enough IMHO

> wget -c http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.7.tar.gz

Why would you want to install SDL? vo_directx and ao_win32 work better
under Windows..

> wget -c http://www.xiph.org/ao/src/libao-0.8.5.tar.gz
> wget -c http://download.tangent.org/libID3-0.7.tar.gz
> wget -c http://www.speex.org/download/speex-1.1.5.tar.gz

What's this?

> wget -c http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/flac/flac-1.1.0.tar.gz

Unnecessary, libavcodec now decodes flac and it was included in
MPlayer before.

> wget -c http://www.vorbis.com/files/1.0.1/unix/vorbis-tools-1.0.1.tar.gz

What for?

> ./configure --enable-dynamic-plugins --enable-shared-pp --enable-bl --enable-fribidi --enable-menu --enable-live --enable-largefiles --enable-gui

Why --enable-dynamic-plugins --enable-shared-pp?

Hmm, --enable-bl - what can I say..  Are you serious?  It's a cool
idea, though ;-)

Diego