[MPlayer-cygwin] Preliminary Cygwin compilation guide

Stefan Gürtler Stefan.guertler at stud.tum.de
Sat Jul 10 10:45:26 CEST 2004

> On Fri, July 9, 2004 10:44 pm, Stefan Gürtler said:
> > I always add the --with-codecsdir=codecs, so that you can take your
> > mplayer.exe out of the posix environment (cygwin or MSYS) and still use
> > it with all featrues. Maybe creating a link to the location where you
> > unpacked the essential codecs will make both locations work and only
> > having one set of the codecs on your system (if the filesystems allows
> > real links and does not just copy the files)
> >
> > Stefan
> >

> Given that this is a compilation guide specifically for cygwin, I'm not
sure that this is strictly necessary.. also, that would have the problem of
the codecs dir being a subdir of where you were compiling, if i'm reading
the option correctly. If you wish to remove from the posix environment,
you'd have to use a windows path.. Trying to remember (it's 5am, so I'm not
expecting to get this right.. :P), but can't you specify a codecs location
in codecs.conf ?

mplayer.exe will look for a codecs dir relativ to its position, so you can
copy mplayer.exe in any folder you like, and mplayer.exe will try to find
the codec dlls in a subdirectory codecs just next to it. (That is if you
specified --with-codecsdir=codecs)
E.g. copy mplayer.exe and the cygwin dlls that where not statically linked
into mplayer.exe to f:\, mplayer.exe will look for the codec dlls in
f:\codecs.
This is the way e.g. Sascha Sommer is doing it for his win32 releases at
mplayerhq.hu.

Stefan