[MPlayer-cygwin] win32 mplayer can't play dvd's

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sat Jan 24 18:38:34 CET 2004

devans at presscentre.net writes:
 > Firstly thanks everyone for the kind reply's, much appreciated.  I'd really like
 > to understand how to best setup the excellent mplayer tool.  I could write up
 > some docs for everyone later, once I can understand how best to set it up.

More documentation is always welcome.

 > The -dvd-device D: trick does'nt work on my XP system, although that would be the
 > ideal thing, to just put the DVD into the drive and to say "Play this DVD".
 > I wonder if i'm missing something, is that possible ?

Have you tried (as seen in the docs):

-dvd-device /d/
-dvd-device '\\.\d:'

 > I then install the codecs into c:\program files\mplayer\

I believe it should be c:\program files\mplayer\codecs.

 > What should go in codecs.conf if I use the latest win32 codec pack ?

Don't touch codecs.conf.

 > Do I even need this codec pack if I run the windows port of mplayer,
 > i'm assuming this is necessary.

For codecs that do not have an open source equivalent: yes.

 > Where can I download arial.ttf from ?

Ask Google or just search your Windows installation, there should be
some Arial truetype font somewhere.

Diego