[MPlayer-cygwin] win32 mplayer can't play dvd's

devans at presscentre.net devans at presscentre.net
Sun Jan 25 00:00:13 CET 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 02:38:34PM -0300, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> devans at presscentre.net writes:
>  > Firstly thanks everyone for the kind reply's, much appreciated.  I'd really like
>  > to understand how to best setup the excellent mplayer tool.  I could write up
>  > some docs for everyone later, once I can understand how best to set it up.
>
> More documentation is always welcome.
>
>  > The -dvd-device D: trick does'nt work on my XP system, although that would be the
>  > ideal thing, to just put the DVD into the drive and to say "Play this DVD".
>  > I wonder if i'm missing something, is that possible ?
>
> Have you tried (as seen in the docs):
>
> -dvd-device /d/
> -dvd-device '\\.\d:'

Both of which don't work, i'm running XP.

>  > I then install the codecs into c:\program files\mplayer\
>
> I believe it should be c:\program files\mplayer\codecs.

When "Latest Win32 codecpack" is extracted, a directory is created
called win32codecs, so your saying that this should be renamed
to codecs. ok no problem, but why not fix this within the .zip file
is if it's a problem.  I don't get it.

>  > What should go in codecs.conf if I use the latest win32 codec pack ?
>
> Don't touch codecs.conf.

So the official advice is to ignore this warning, I did'nt know that.

>  > Do I even need this codec pack if I run the windows port of mplayer,
>  > i'm assuming this is necessary.
>
> For codecs that do not have an open source equivalent: yes.

Thanks for clarifying this confusing point.

>  > Where can I download arial.ttf from ?
>
> Ask Google or just search your Windows installation, there should be
> some Arial truetype font somewhere.

Yes the arial true type font exists.

C:\WINDOWS>dir c:\windows\fonts\arial.ttf
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 04A1-9999

 Directory of c:\windows\fonts

25/03/2002  19:43           311,636 arial.ttf
               1 File(s)        311,636 bytes
               0 Dir(s)     260,231,168 bytes free

However mplayer reports the following error.  My initial thought it to
suspect a bug.

c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf doesn't look like a font description, ignoring
Cannot load font: c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf

So I still can't play my DVD from the menu system, is this possible, that's
what i'd like to do now I know a little bit more.

Thanks Diego