[MPlayer-cygwin] Some questions about the MinGW port

NoiseEHC NoiseEHC at freemail.hu
Wed Dec 29 21:28:06 CET 2004

Joey Parrish wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 12:57:56PM +0100, NoiseEHC wrote:
>

>>3. Only video player, no music (NO .wav, .mp3...)
>>The idea here is that these require quite different UIs.
>>

>Not true.  Just fake a blank video stream and force OSD to show
>timecode.  I've done that in my GUI-less packages for a while.

I am not talking about the capabilities of MPlayer, since you can easily
play audio only
with that. What I am talking about is the user interface. For audio
playback you need
something like WinAmp (track/album change, playlist, visualization,
etc). For video you
only want to see a rectangle with the movie and some controls, but you
want to hack
brightness/contrast/etc or subtitles. So it was my design goal to have a
different video
player. If you do not beleive me then run Media Player Classis
(mlayerc.exe) what can
be found in ACE Mega CoDeC Pack. Play audio and create a playlist. Exit
then click a
video file and see how fucked up the GUI is.
BTW this does not mean that it should have different audio/video player
exe-s...

>>6. External GUI probably will not be enough since there are no
>>fullscreen controls...
>>

>This is not true.  I've got a frontend GUI in private dev here that
>_does_ have a fullscreen control.  It didn't require any special code,
>either.  It just works.
>
>--Joey

Can you share your code? I would rather not reimplement that if
possible... :)
What I thought that the controls will not work in real fullscreen mode
(which is not the same
as resizing the overlay to fullscreen).

So the goal is to create a mind blowingly simple GUI which can replace
Media Player and their
clones completely, requires no hacking (options gallery) to work and
avoids the DirectShow install hell.