[MPlayer-cygwin] Some questions about the MinGW port

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Thu Dec 23 23:50:39 CET 2004

Hi,

On Thursday 23 December 2004 22:55, NoiseEHC wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am currentry using MPlayer instead of any win32 players since all are
> buggy on win2003 server or are slow like hell.
> The switch occured when I succesfully installed the new DivX decoder
> which was too slow. I then uninstalled it and
> after that the DirectShow registration was messed up.

;)

> My only problem is that every time I start a video I have to set
> contrast/brightness/etc since the overlay window
> was left with some random values. I would like to fix that but currently
> I am not able to compile the project.

Maybe you don't even need to recompile MPlayer for this,
just set
brightness=value
contrast=value
etc. in your mplayer/config file
Check man_page.html for details.

> Dear Sascha Sommer,
>
> can you provide me the exact options you use to comple the suff can be
> found here, please?
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32-beta/
>
> I would like to know the dependencies I should intall to MinGW, since I
> am a decent win32 programmer but do
> not know anything about unix environments... For example downloaded
> zlib-1.2.1-mingw32.tar.gz and all I have
> to do is to extract the include and lib directories to the include and
> lib folders? Also would like to know the URLs
> of those packages.

Maybe it is the best you start with the prebuild libraries Reimar sent to this
list, but you are right I should write some build howto that explains the
various tweaks needed to compile the libs on mingw. Hopefully I find a bit of
time for this during the christmas holidays.
Once you have all the libs in the correct place. A new binary can simply be
produced from cvs sources with
./configure --enable-debug=3 --enable-static --with-codecsdir=codecs
--enable-runtime-cpudetection
make

For simple experiments the cygwin environment is maybe better because it
already includes many packages.

> As I know you also released an alpha MPlayer-GUI, is it a patch to the
> current source three, or will I get it once
> I will able to compile with --enable-gui???

No, sorry, it was an experiment a few months ago and the patches are totally
outdated. The windows gui should stay outside the MPlayer tree and only
communicate with MPlayer using the slave mode.
For the skinned gui there is still the dream of a new and clean all in one
external linux/macosx and windows gui

> My final goal would be to create a version which can render to a window
> in a helper process so I could embed it to
> Mozilla Firefox since all the players sux at best on windows.

Also see the -wid patch that has recently been sent to the dev-eng list and
now is included in cvs and pre6. A firefox plugin would rock.

> These questions can look very lame but I am just a windows only
> programmer... Probably the answers would
> help MPlayer to take off in a win32 environment so other lame developers
> could help coding....

I'm happy about every help we can get for the windows port. Moreover as
I spend a lot of time in linux nowadays.

> Thanks!
> NoiseEHC
>
> ps:
> Why does it need dnahelper.sys? Probably it would not be better than
> DirectX.

It doesn't need it. dhahelper.sys is only usefull for vidix with shitty
hardware, but most of the time vo gl2 and directx are the best vos.
Maybe vidix shouldn't even be included in the official builds.