[MPlayer-cygwin] colorspaces vs graphics cards

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Sun Apr 25 01:22:59 CEST 2004

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 10:43:34PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> After the recent talk here about specific graphics cards and their
> optimal or non-optimal colorspaces Compn decided to add this to the
> documentation after some prodding from my side.  Here is what we have
> come up with togethere so far:
>

>   For best results MPlayer should use a colorspace that your video
>   card supports in hardware. Unfortunately many Windows graphics
>   drivers wrongly report some colorspaces as supported in hardware. To
>   find out which, try
>
>   -benchmark -nosound -frames 100 -vf format=colorspace
>
>   where colorspace can be any colorspace printed by the -vf
>   format=fmt=help option. If you find a colorspace your card handles
>   particularly bad -vf noformat=colorspace will keep it from being
>   used.
>

> Now I'm not sure this is correct.  The best colorspace is codec
> dependent IIRC.  So what should the suggestion be, use vf_format, use
> vf_noformat, play around with either if you get bad performance or
> none of the above?

I noticed the need for vf_noformat when I realized that mpeg decoded to
yv12 dr into directx (no conversion) was _slower_ than converting to
rgb32 (my primary colorspace).  IMHO, the most commonly used codecs are
not rgb-based, so try decoding mpeg into various yuv spaces.  If you get
worse performance for these vs rgb, then use noformat.

--Joey

--
All philosophy is naive.