[MPlayer-cygwin] colorspaces vs graphics cards

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sat Apr 24 22:43:34 CEST 2004

Hello!

After the recent talk here about specific graphics cards and their
optimal or non-optimal colorspaces Compn decided to add this to the
documentation after some prodding from my side.  Here is what we have
come up with togethere so far:

  For best results MPlayer should use a colorspace that your video
  card supports in hardware. Unfortunately many Windows graphics
  drivers wrongly report some colorspaces as supported in hardware. To
  find out which, try

  -benchmark -nosound -frames 100 -vf format=colorspace

  where colorspace can be any colorspace printed by the -vf
  format=fmt=help option. If you find a colorspace your card handles
  particularly bad -vf noformat=colorspace will keep it from being
  used.

Now I'm not sure this is correct.  The best colorspace is codec
dependent IIRC.  So what should the suggestion be, use vf_format, use
vf_noformat, play around with either if you get bad performance or
none of the above?

Diego