[MPlayer-cygwin] official win32 package?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Jan 20 01:00:55 CET 2003

Hi,

> Arpi wrote:
> > Sascha Sommer made a few win32 builds in the past for testing, and
> > imho it's time to make official win32 package :)
>
> Where are those builds?  Is there anything special about them or were
mphq incoming

i've copied the latest to http://mplayerhq.hu/~arpi/mp-win32/ so my windows
user friends can download & test it.

> they just some CVS snapshots?
yes

> > Imho the latest pkg was good enough, things to do: - compile rc3 same
> > way - include the patch to get acm/dmo etc codecs working
>
> Where is that patch?
afaik not sent/released yet, ascha just told me on irc that he patched it

> > - add documentation (convert manpage to ascii or HTML, i doubt that
> > win users are used to groff :))
>
> Hmm, maybe we should finally add this everywhere, something like
> DOCS/Makefile:
>
> docs:
> 	cat mplayer.1 | sed s/SS\ 20/SS\ 4/ | groff -man -Thtml - > manpage.html

yes, why not

> > - add small README describing limits etc (release notes)
>
> Once we have Win32 DLLs working there should not be many limitations
> left.  Currently the only limitations I know of are:
>
> 1) no Win32 DLLs
> 2) QT DLLs crash or produce garbled image
sure?

> 3) OpenGL does not work
doesn't matter, imho

> 4) SDL video crashes, SDL audio is distorted
same

> 5) fails to compile with --disable-streaming
hmm

> 6) fails to compile with --enable-menu
who cares

> 7) no GUI
sure

btw, since mplayerosx is opensource since a while, what about porting its gui?

> 3) + 4) are not important now that we have -vo directx and -ao win32 and
yes

> seem to have shaked out most bugs, I have a solution in store for 5) +
> 6), we just need to flesh out a few details.
>
> Is there something missing from that list?

dunno.
i've never tried (ok once tried on a win2k but that times it did garbled image)

> What about Real DLLs, did anybody get them to work?
they work on linux, should work on win32 too after patching out dlopen() stuff

> > - add file_id.diz, just for fun :)
>
> :-)
>
> > of course it should be marked as 'experimental beta' (or alpha)
> > release, for testing.
> >
> > ideas?
>
> Yes, let's do it.
>
> Is there a way to compile MPlayer statically (or whatever) so that it
> does not need a full Cygwin environment?  Has anybody tried this with
> MPlayer or some other application?

it is not a full cygwin environment, just a few files extracted into any
dir and done:

CYGWIN1.DLL     cygz.dll      mencoder.exe  subfont.ttf
cygiconv-2.dll  freetype.dll  mplayer.exe

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team