[MPlayer-cygwin] official win32 package?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sun Jan 19 23:37:50 CET 2003

Arpi wrote:
> Sascha Sommer made a few win32 builds in the past for testing, and
> imho it's time to make official win32 package :)

Where are those builds?  Is there anything special about them or were
they just some CVS snapshots?

> Imho the latest pkg was good enough, things to do: - compile rc3 same
> way - include the patch to get acm/dmo etc codecs working

Where is that patch?

> - add documentation (convert manpage to ascii or HTML, i doubt that
> win users are used to groff :))

Hmm, maybe we should finally add this everywhere, something like
DOCS/Makefile:

docs:
	cat mplayer.1 | sed s/SS\ 20/SS\ 4/ | groff -man -Thtml - > manpage.html

> - add small README describing limits etc (release notes)

Once we have Win32 DLLs working there should not be many limitations
left.  Currently the only limitations I know of are:

1) no Win32 DLLs
2) QT DLLs crash or produce garbled image
3) OpenGL does not work
4) SDL video crashes, SDL audio is distorted
5) fails to compile with --disable-streaming
6) fails to compile with --enable-menu
7) no GUI

3) + 4) are not important now that we have -vo directx and -ao win32 and
seem to have shaked out most bugs, I have a solution in store for 5) +
6), we just need to flesh out a few details.

Is there something missing from that list?

What about Real DLLs, did anybody get them to work?

> - add file_id.diz, just for fun :)

:-)

> of course it should be marked as 'experimental beta' (or alpha)
> release, for testing.
>
> ideas?

Yes, let's do it.

Is there a way to compile MPlayer statically (or whatever) so that it
does not need a full Cygwin environment?  Has anybody tried this with
MPlayer or some other application?

Diego