[MPlayer-cygwin] Compilation options and tips

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Aug 22 09:59:41 CEST 2003

christophe.perinaud at free.fr writes:
 > I am able to compile mplayer now. I used that options to configure it :
 > configure --with-codecsdir=./codecs --datadir=. --with-win32libdir=./codecs

--with-codecsdir is enough, skip --with-win32libdir.

 > For some videos it can't find the codecs. Mplayer is installed in
 > his own directory. With all codecs in a subfolder (named codecs)
 > and configuration files in another subfolder (named mplayer). I am
 > using the extralite pack and the latest win32 dll pack and
 > codecs.conf from the etc folder.

Forget about codecs.conf, remove that file.  Install QT and Real Win32
codecs as explained in DOCS/en/documentation.html, chapter 6.6 Windows
and 6.6.2 MinGW.

Check DOCS/en/documentation.html chapter 1.2, it explains all about
codecs.conf among other things.  Also read DOCS/en/codecs.html, it
explains which codecs you need for which files.

 > I would like to enable OSD so i used the --enable-menu with the
 > configure script. I get a compilation error in the subfolder
 > libmenu :

--enable-menu is for the OSD _menu_, not the OSD itself.  The OSD menu
does not work under MinGW.  So your help in porting it is appreciated
;)  To get OSD just put some fonts into your datadir.

Also check DOCS/en/documentation.html chapter 1.2, it explains all
about the OSD.

 > I hope i gave you enought details.

More than last time, but not really enough yet.  Did you read
DOCS/en/bugreports.html?  It explains what information is necessary
for us to help you resolve your problems.

Most answers to your questions should be hidden in the documentation
somewhere, although you may have to extrapolate a bit to apply it to
MinGW (that's the price for using a port that is still under heavy
development).  I would be glad to hear about inaccuracies related to
this port, though.  If you find any or have further questions, just
let me know.

Hope this helps

Diego