[MPlayer-cygwin] compiling mplayer probs ...

Joey Parrish joey at yunamusic.com
Thu Sep 5 18:34:28 CEST 2002

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 01:18:10PM +0200, Gert.Vandelaer at medisearch-int.com wrote:
> I've gotten Mplayer to compile ... finally,
> had to do some fancy tricks with compiling aalib, ggi and sdl:
> libgii / libggi wouldn't compile "demos" / "test" part, but that's ok, got
> it installed ...

Yes, the libs mplayer uses are often more difficult on cygwin than
mplayer itself.  This is why we really need a nativer directx vo.

> version) Wtf is gcc2 package btw ? ... It contains no cc1 among other
> things ...

the gcc2 package is gcc-2.95 series.  this is useful to install if you
install the gcc package with a gcc-3 version, so that you can have both
gcc versions installed at once.

> Why is there no "ldconfig" wiht the cygwin distro ... or maybe there is ?
> Or maybe cygwin uses a different mechanism that I haven't figured out yet
> to keep track of where to look for libraries ?

.dll libs need to be in the PATH or other bin directories, but other
types of libs should be kept in /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib

> I tried running mplayer from inside the "/usr/local/lib" directory, it gave
> me the help screen .. YES !! ... But now when I try to play a movie with
> -vo sdl , mplayer bugs out with fatal error 11, and suggests a compiler bug
> of some sort ... ok, no worries, it can happen :)  It did work with -vo aa
> though !!

Please send a full bugreport with a debugging build of mplayer and a
gdb backtrace and verbose log if you have not already done so.

> So I redid "make install" in the allready built aalib, gii / ggi and SDL
> ... because I noticed it does re-linking on cygwin system, so I assumed it
> would somehow also fix the search-path for libraries ... but to no avail
> ... I had to recompile all libraries with gcc3-2 and read up on some cygwin
> docs (I've only been using this for 2 days now) ... Strangely enough,
> mplayer configure didn't autodetect aalib (I tested it first before i
> restarted build of any other library ...), I had to specify
> "/usr/local/lib" with --with-extralibdir, so now it did "autodetect" the
> aalib on my system ... also ggi and SDL were found again now.

Yeah, I don't use gcc3 on cygwin yet.  2.95 is plenty good enough, and
there seem to be too many issues remaining with gcc3 for my tastes.

> altered the "config.mak" according to docs ...
> compiled mplayer again ...  some warnings about __fastcall being redefined
> ... that's ok, some other warnings too... more worrying ones like "missing
> operand; zero assumed" *grin* ... anyway, compile process bums out on me at
> "mpdvdkit" (something in the ".h file" ... so I disabled this feature and
> recompiled ...)

!!!  Please tell me what went wrong with mpdvdkit and what you changed
in your personal source tree.  Mpdvdkit on cygwin is very important to
me, so let me know if there's something I can fix.

> I can play only when in X, -vo sdl -vo ggi ... not yet working, although
> the error mplayer spews out when using -vo ggi is rather hopefull ...
> libGGI : couldn't open /usr/local/etc/ggi/libggi.conf ... maybe it needs to
> have some special mode ... gonna look in the code for that.

I have no experience with ggi.  Sorry.

> "-vo x11" : I can play movies, but without sound and it's very very very
> slow ... but I think this has something to do with the warnings during
> compile stating that I've misconfigured my system blah blah ....
> "-vo aa" : also works, but same as x11 ... very very very slow ...

I suspect it's just that the cygwin X server is unaccellerated.
Is this correct?  I don't use cygwin X11.

Hope I can help more soon, but I'm _still_ without a cygwin
shell for testing.

--Joey

--

"All you need is love." --Darth Vader