[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: builds but thinks avi file has errors

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sun Dec 15 16:57:36 CET 2002

Roger H. Levy writes:
 > >> 2. I found that in order to get directx support (i.e. -vo directx), I
 > >> needed to supply the option --enable-directx to configure.
 >
 > >Did configure not detect this automatically after installing the
 > >DirectX headers?  Where did you install them?
 >
 > The documentation did not say where to install them so I put them in the
 > top level source directory where many other header files were located.
 > Configure specifically indicated that directx support was not included
 > so I used the --enable-directx switch.

OK, the docs are not overly clear on this.  The headers should go to
/usr/include/ or /usr/local/include/.  Docs updated, thanks for the
hint.

 > >> I used the latest version of CygWin tools and built on both an IBM T23
 > >> laptop (1000MHz P3) and an Athlon 1200MHz system under Windows 2000.
 > >> The builds were clean but in both cases when I tried to play an .avi
 > >> file that I encoded with my Linux system, there were many messages
 > >> indicating corruption in the media stream.  As a result, the video was
 > >> badly broken and sometimes black.  The same stream plays perfectly on
 > >> the Linux system that I built and the Linux system is only using a
 > >> 500MHz K6 CPU.  Also, on the Athlon system the display was full screen
 > >> rather than QVGA as encoded.
 >
 > >Does -vo directx:noaccel cure these problems?
 >
 > No.  As for the docs, I read as much as I could find and I don't believe
 > anything I have reported in my post indicates that I haven't read the
 > docs.

No, not really, sorry.  The docs are clearer now.

 > >> I'm hoping that I can find out how to fix this problem ASAP because I
 > >> need to show something to my boss.
 >
 > >The Cygwin port currently runs best under Windows 98 because that is
 > >what Sascha Sommer the main developer uses.  I have some problems with
 > >A/V sync under W2K, it's far from perfect at the moment.  If your boss
 > >wants to see some quick results under W2K, donate a W2K license to
 > >Sascha Sommer
 > >
 > >http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/donations.html
 > >
 > >Since he won't install a pirated OS he cannot improve W2K support
 > >without a license.  Surely a W2K license is not too expensive for Bell
 > >labs, is it? ;-)  Seriously, this will help development a lot.
 > >Thanks
 >
 > Bell Labs (Lucent Technologies) is virtually bankrupt.  I bring my own
 > PCs to work because buying supplies is virtually impossible.  Sorry, I
 > can't help.

Sorry to hear about that.  Well, it was worth a try ;-)

Other than that I cannot help you.  Just tried the Cygwin port on my
box again, builds fine.  But I still have A/V sync problems and some
movies crash or have a garbled picture with -vo directx.  -vo
directx:noaccel solves this, but my box is much too slow for that..

Diego